EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR WITH THE GREATER BALTIMORE BLACK CHAMBER OF COMMERCE (GBBCC)
Are you a dynamic leader with a passion for the economic advancement of communities of color? Do you excel in grant management and fundraising? Do you thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy environment?
If so, the Greater Baltimore Black Chamber of Commerce has the perfect opportunity for you!
The Greater Baltimore Black Chamber of Commerce (GBBCC) is a nonprofit organization that is committed to economically educating communities of color to prosper through the growth and development of black-owned businesses. We believe that there is strength in numbers but power in unity!
GBBCC is experiencing lots of momentum and is many times the go-to for the dissemination of community grants and resources. In addition, the chamber is positioned to become a Coordinating Entity with the State of Maryland to provide certified workforce training and job creation in growth industries.
Applicants of all backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
ABOUT THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR ROLE
We are seeking an enthusiastic and driven leader to make history by joining our team as the first Executive Director for GBBCC. In this role, you will be responsible for leading the Chamber's efforts to promote economic growth, lead fundraising and business development, foster stakeholder relationships, and enhance the quality of life for our members and communities of color in the Greater Baltimore area.
As the ED, you will work closely with a talented and dedicated Board of Directors and chamber members to develop and implement strategies to support the local business community. You will collaborate with local leaders, government officials, and other stakeholders to create and execute initiatives that drive economic development and community progress.
Salary range: up to $65,000 annually commensurate with experience
Employment Status: Exempt | Full-Time
Reports To: Board of Directors and President
Schedule: 32-hour work-week | 2-3 days in GBBCC office
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
● Monthly stipend toward health insurance
● 2 weeks of Paid Time Off
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of leadership, strategic planning, stakeholder engagement, and business development. You should possess excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to inspire and motivate teams.
● Oversee the general finances of the Chamber in partnership with the Treasurer and GBBCC Finance Committee
● Works closely with the Treasurer and the Finance Committee to develop an annual budget for the Chambers’ 501c3 and 501c6 operations that delineates projected revenues and expenses for a balanced budget for Board approval
● Monitor and report Chamber entities’ fiscal condition to the Board at scheduled Board Meetings
● Lead, direct, and develop Chamber’s fund-raising strategies in partnership with the Finance & Executive committee and in collaboration with other member lead committees
● Perform a cost-benefit analysis of proposed ideas, projects, and events
● Oversee the management of chamber staff including hiring, firing, performance reviews, salary and benefits administration, policy, and general supervision
● Develop and implement continuous improvement initiatives and to optimize performance and operating results
● Create an internal management system of key performance indicators (KPIs) for member-led (volunteer) committees and monitor staff, vendor, and volunteer activity and performance against goals with continued supervision
● Promote a working environment of excellence, external and internal collaboration, and professional standards for the organization
● Motivate others to be champions of chamber initiatives
● Foster teamwork and collaboration between/among Board members, staff, Chamber members, community leaders, elected officials, and strategic committees and organizations
● Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Chamber, including management grants, programs, services and events, marketing
● Create efficient business systems and practices for staffing, grant management, membership services, and marketing efforts
● Work with the President to prepare agendas and materials for Board and Executive Committee meetings
● Develop goals and objectives for recommendation to the Boards of Directors
● Oversee organization of the Chamber’s Annual Meeting, Board Retreats, and member-related educational and training events
● Work in collaboration with the Program, Membership, Business Development, and Marketing Committees to plan and implement programs and services
● Attend Chamber Board meetings and provide staff support to committee efforts
● Serve as a spokesperson and ambassador for the Chamber
● Represent the Chamber at business and community events, meetings, etc
● Build partnerships with other organizations
● Support Chamber Officers and the Board of Directors
● Direct the annual and long-term planning process
● Assist in fulfilling the officer and committee responsibilities in accordance with the Chamber bylaws
● Participate in higher-level membership and sponsorship sales
● Identify and develop revenue-generation programs and events
● Operate within and advance the mission of the Chamber
● Develop and implement a marketing plan for the chamber to ensure a positive community image with the marketing committee
● Assure that organization priorities are responsive to member needs and serve to advance the GBBCC economic welfare
● Maintain open communication with the Board, assist the Board in the governance of the Chamber; bring issues to the Board in a timely fashion
● Develop and maintain a positive and helpful relationship with the city and county governmental agencies, and neighboring, state, and national Chambers
● Develop goals and long-range plans for the Chamber
● Work a wide and flexible range of business hours, including overnight travel on an occasional basis
● Plan, organize, lead, delegate, and monitor at an executive level.
● Additional duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Non-Profit, Leadership, or related field preferred, or comparable professional training and/or experience
● Ability to travel frequently (up to 60%) within the Greater Baltimore vicinity
● 3+ years of experience at the management/executive level experience specifically within small business, government, and nonprofit industries
● Prior experience supervising teams
● Demonstrated experience with oversight of organizational finances to include the preparation and management of a budget, analyzing organizational performance, and projecting financial performance
● Previous chamber or similar organization management experience preferred
● Working knowledge of local, regional, and state-level political systems and experience in developing collaborative relationships in these areas
● Previous experience with developing and/or implementing fundraising initiatives
● Captivating and inspiring public speaking and presentation skills.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Customer-oriented with high emotional intelligence
● Great with time management and event planning skills
● Passion and natural at collaboration and networking
● Excellent skills in community consensus building
● Strong commitment to personal growth
● Commitment to the best business practices for the Chamber
If you're ready to take your career to the next level and make a significant impact on your community, then we want to hear from you! Don't miss this opportunity to join a vibrant and exciting organization that is committed to creating a better future for our members and the community. Apply now!
MORE INFORMATION THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW
All selected candidates will participate in phone interviews, undergo a background check, and must provide supervisory and business references.
Tier 1 Interviews: Conducted virtually with the Recruitment Team
Tier 2 Interviews: Conducted in person with the Executive Committee
Tier 3 Interviews: Conducted in person with the Board of Directors
If you believe you are the perfect candidate for this position please apply HERE.